Welcome to our blog! This blog is co-written by Natalie Rich and Lizzy Douglas during the spring of 2013. We will be student teaching in Guiyang, China for 8 weeks. We invite you to follow our blog to learn about our adventures teaching and traveling abroad.

07 March 2013

Preparations for China

Natalie Rich and I (Lizzy Douglas) have been counting down to leave for China for nearly a full year. We are both graduate students at the University of Montana (UM) pursuing our Masters of Education with a K-8 teaching license. We have finally made it to our last semester- student teaching. UM requires teachers to spend 16 weeks student teaching, so we elected to spend 8 weeks teaching in Montana and 8 weeks in Guiyang, China.

I spent the past two months in a wonderful 2nd grade classroom at Frenchtown Elementary in Frenchtown, Montana. I was fortunate to work with Lane Long, a phenomenal master teacher. I will certainly miss my 2nd grade students and Mrs. Long. It is my hope that I will be able to connect the students in Frenchtown with students in China.

Natalie spent the past two months in a 2nd grade classroom in Browning, Montana, which is on the Blackfeet Reservation. Here is a link to her blog about her experience in Browning.

In two days we will fly to China to begin the second half of our student teaching. Leaving the country for nearly three months requires a great deal of preparation and paperwork. We're still running around Missoula doing errands, buying items, and calling family members to say one last good-bye. I will certainly miss Montana, my friends, my husband, and sharp cheddar cheese, but I know the next few months will be a whole new adventure. Natalie and I received our China visas a couple months ago, so we are ready to go! Our local paper, The Missoulian wrote a short article about our trip. We are excited to be the first UM students to spend 8 weeks at the school in Guiyang.

We will be living in Guiyang and teaching at Guiyang No. 4 Experimental Primary School. The school is a public elementary school and classes are taught in Chinese. We will be responsible for teaching English classes to a variety of grade levels. We will find out more about our teaching assignments and living arrangements when we arrive and meet the other teaching staff.

Here's a map of Guizhou Province in China.


No comments:

Post a Comment